seasons have turned …
bringing golden light through our kitchen window….
… while other golds go bye
encouraging a taste for autumn…
this apple cake recipe was adapted from a recipe found here. Once written the other way round, but on a whim … it was turned round once … so that our apple cake could be crowned with a spiral of golden apples ...
- 2 or 3 medium tart apples (such as Mac), cored/ sliced
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons orange juice or apple cider
- generous sprinkling of your favorite combination of sweet spices(cinnamon, nutmrg, cloves, cardamon, ginger, etc)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cups Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup warm milk
- 1 large egg
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
| 1) Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter a 9 ½” to 10″ (2″ deep) cast-iron skillet; or a 9″ square cake pan.
| 2) Combine the apples with the brown sugar, orange juice/ cider, spices, and salt. Set aside.
| 3) Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
| 4) Mix the warm milk, egg, melted butter, and vanilla. Add to the flour mixture, stirring to combine. Pour into the prepared skillet.
5) Arrange the apple at the bottom of the skillet in single layer pattern. Over medium head for 10 to 15 minutes let apple mixture caramelize and brown
6) Pour the batter on top and bake the cake for about 40 to 55 minutes until it is a light golden
|7) Remove from the oven, and cool for about 5 minutes. Loosen the edges of the cake from the pan, and place a large plate on top of skillet, turn over and serve.|
|Have a great weekend!|